Re: [Banshee-List] Re:Using the monodevelop solution (Sanford Armstrong)

The preferred method of developing plugins with a sane build system is
as an external module. This involves writing a configure.ac file and the
necessary Makefile.am files, which are then generated into a configure
script and applicable Makefiles.

There is a sample Banshee plugin available in Banshee Subversion that
acts as a skeleton for exactly this purpose:

svn co svn://svn.banshee-project.org/trunk/banshee-sample-plugin

Only plugins that are to be distributed as part of core Banshee should
be in the Banshee build system and its MonoDevelop project. I will be
starting an "official plugins" module at some point too, moving some of
the plugins outside of the core Banshee tree.

Finally, I am asking anyone who is writing a plugin, or plans to do so,
to announce their idea to the list in case someone else is already
working on or planning to work on a similar plugin. We have already had
two development collisions like this (two different people working on a
Podcasting plugin and two different people working on an Airtunes
plugin), because of a lack of public communication.

Cheers,
Aaron