Re: [Banshee-List] iTunes, banshee and DAAP

Hi,

Patrick van Staveren schrieb:
I don't have the setup to test it on now, but I used to (a few months
ago) run banshee on a linux box, itunes on a windows box, OpenVPN'd
the windows box into the network that the linux box is in and it
worked great.

OpenVPN is a pure IP tunnel - you can do whatever over an OpenVPN
connection that you can do over a regular IP connection.  Thus, mDNS
and anything else will work :) Michi - just hit up openvpn.org and
read - it's far from hard to set up a quick vpn :)

from http://avahi.org/wiki/Avah4users#FAQ :
By default Avahi will not consider a Point-To-Point link (such as a VPN
link) for mDNS traffic. This has multiple reasons...

Gotcha - I forgot to mention - I was using OpenVPN in bridge mode, not in route (p-t-p) mode. OpenVPN in bridge mode is literally like plugging the remote computer onto the host computer's network. Might explain why it works for me and not others :)

There is a workaround, which doesn't seem to work for me, I always get
dozens of "send message failed"-messages on the debug output of avahi.
Well, for now I share my music over a samba share, which works flawlessly.
Wish I could shed some more light on the subject.  Have you tried
verifying that DAAP is working properly?  Maybe try using Tangerine
and various DAAP browser software to see if you can see your own
shares?  I don't have much knowledge on the DAAP subject, other than I
know it'll work over a VPN :)

DAAP itself works, I tested it with telnet, but the mDNS/rendezvous
protocol, this magic "zeroconf" seems to be the problem :). I will
survive...
For more info on DAAP, Tangerine, and maybe a test util or two, check
out www.snorp.net

Checking it out, thanks.

Greetings,
Dominik