Re: [Banshee-List] 2 ideas

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 09:28 +0100, Stephen Holmes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 21:28 -0400, Peter Colijn wrote:
> > These may have been requested/suggested before (apologies if so):
> >
> > 1. I like the metadata (cover art) plugin. Has any thought been put
> > into DAP support for cover art? How hard would that be?
> >

> Photo's and coverart have been added to ipod-sharp.  There's a patch for
> Banshee HEAD that will handle the transfer.  See
> http://www.snorp.net/files/banshee_ipod_cover_art_v2.diff

The ability to sync cover art has been added to HEAD now (based off
snorp's patch above). You need libipoddevice from CVS and ipod-sharp
from SVN.

> > 2. Transcoding seems sub-optimal right now. Everything is transcoded
> > before syncing occurs (meaning that if you have to stop for some
> > reason in the middle of your sync, you get nothing on your device). In
> > addition, transcoding everything all at once uses significant disk
> > space (although I am aware that the transcoded versions are cached,
> > which is beneficial, but some users may not wish to waste the space).
> > Have there been any thoughts on improving the transcoder? Perhaps
> > adding a pref (could be hidden for those with pref-phobia) to disable
> > the caching mode and transcode song-by-song?

While this may be possible to address in ipod-sharp (some sort of
transfer method to allow for IO to happen outside of ipod-sharp so that
transcoding can be done "on the fly"), it is not possible right now to
address this in other areas (CD Burning).

The cache problem will be addressed in the 0.12.x series however. It is
a problem with high priority.

--Aaron