Re: [Banshee-List] Podcast support

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 01:12 -0600, Mike Urbanski wrote:
> Having seen my name come up on the list, I should probably introduce
> myself.  Hi.  I'm Mike Urbanski.  I'm working on Podcast support for
> Banshee.

Cool, any sneak preview screenshots around?

> On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Ruben Vermeersch wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 11:29 -0500, Aaron Bockover wrote:
> >> I can add this to the repo if it is going to be maintained, in which
> >> case I'll need a pub key (mail to me privately) from whomever will
> >> do so
> >> (Thijs?)
> >>
> >> I have not been able to touch base with Fredrik about his podcasting
> >> implementation, but Mike Ubanski is working on a really cool
> >> implementation for his thesis (I think).
>
> I wish.
>
> >> He has a deadline of Feb 25 (or
> >> somewhere in that area), and I've been working with him a little
> >> to make
> >> sure he has what he needs in core (sources can provide custom or
> >> hybrid
> >> views new).
> >
> > "sources can provide custom or hybrid views new": with 7 words, abock
> > multiplies plugin capabilities by thousand, get this guy some free
> > beer
> > now!
>
> Agreed.
>

> >> That being said, while I appreciate the work, I don't think we
> >> need to
> >> end up with 10 podcasting plugins. There are already two full-
> >> featured
> >> ones (Fredrik's and Mike's).
> >
> > There should be a central place where who-does-what coordination is
> > done
> > (which at the same time would be a very cool look-whats-coming thing).
> > Would also be a great way to fuel the developers community around
> > banshee.
> > <woodb> is there a link off the main project page to all of the
> > plugins?
> > Same thing.
>
> Again I agree.
>
> I've requested a wiki access so I can shed some light on what I have
> brewing.  I apologize, "lone-wolfism" was never my intention.  Having
> taken this on as an independent study at my university, I've been
> trying to keep my involvement under the radar until the academic
> pressures are off.  That said, I'm sorry if I've wasted anyone's time
> (Thijs, Fredrik).
>
> On the coordination / evangelization front, I'm  willing to help out
> in anyway needed.
>
> ~Mike
>
> --
> IRC:  mcu
> Email:  michael c urbanski gmail com
> Jabber:  michael c urbanski gmail com
>

> P.S.  I'm interested in individual podcast usage reports!
>
> *How many feeds are you currently subscribe to?
> *Which format(s) (Atom, RSS vx.x, OPML, etc)?
> *How many podcasts do you listen to in an average week?
> *How long are the podcasts?

2:
* Dance Departement:
http://www.radio538.nl/538/programmas/dancedepartment/podcast.jsp
This is RSS, about 60-70 mins long and pretty good. Weekly broadcast,
made for the web (AFAICT). If you have a copy of itunes near, do try
this one out, the way itunes handles this podcast is fantastic:
 * It has an embedded table of contents (quick jumping to songs)
 * It has embedded MJPEG artwork, if banshee could display this while
playing, it would be a killer! (However, I must admit this is not a
trivial thing to do and gstreamer has some issues with those files).

* The Bootleg Bar:
http://www.bootlegbar.be/page8/page8.html
Pretty much the same remarks

This number will probably increase once banshee handles them though

> *Is the content available available through other mediums (radio, TV,
> print)
>
> *What podcast clients are good, which ones suck and why?

iTunes surely is the best example, lovely! Rhythmbox is pretty basic,
nothing special. Liferea is even more basic ;-)

> *Should a client come with default feeds?
> *If so which?

As everyone has a different musical taste, this would be quite hard to
balance, IMHO.

> I'm interested in just about anything you find interesting about
> podcasting.
>
> P.P.S.  On an unrelated note.  Looking at the results of Novell's
> Linux app request survey, iTunes is, at the moment, the #4 most
> requested port.  Interesting.
>
> link:  http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16798.html

We're not ready till mac users start asking for banshee! :-)

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.Lambda1.be/