Re: [Banshee-List] Plugin in the works: Alarm Clock

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 15:10 -0700, Byron Poland wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz free fr> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 04:07 -0400, Trick van Staveren wrote:
> > > Hey folks,
> > >
> > > I've been starting to work on a new plugin for Banshee - an Alarm Clock plugin.  Has
> > > anyone worked on this?  If so, LMK, so we're not duplicating efforts :)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been working on something similar. I'm trying to replicate the
> > features from the xmms-alarm plugin for XMMS and beep media player.
> > I've got some working code, but it still needs some work.
> > I'm still waking up with beep media player...
> >
> > > Features I'm working on:
> > >
> > > Sleep timer:
> > >  * ability to set a timer that when it's up, will pause playback.  Great for when
> > > you're loving your tunes but don't want to hear them ALL night.
> > >
> > > Alarm timer:
> > >  * will start playback at the given time.
> > >  * "recur" option - if enabled, will set the timer again for the next day at that same
> > > time.
> > >  * volume setting - will change the volume to a certain level before playing.  This way
> > > you don't have to set it before you go to sleep.
> > >
> > > Future ideas:
> > >  * sleep timer - make it so it fades out the song, or stops at the end of the song
> > > rather than just pausing in the middle of it.
> > >  * alarm timer - volume change will be gradual.  will set the volume when the alarm
> > > first goes off, and will gradually increase it to another value over a span of seconds
> > > or minutes.  All three values will be settable.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions for me?  Like I said, this plugin is more in
> > > the concept stage (I have more pencil sketches than actual code)...so I'm open to
> > > ideas :)
> >
> > What is working in my code :
> > - Start playback at a given time
> > - Set the volume before playing
> >
> > What is implemented but doesn't work
> > - Gradually change the volume while playing over a period of time.
> > The volume just gets stuck at the first value.
> >
> > The configuration options need some UI love. For now it's just a bunch
> > of SpinButtons.
> >
> > Things I'd like to have :
> > - Set different alarm times for each day of the week. I don't want to be
> > waken up at 7am on a Sunday morning because I left banshee running...
> >
> > The sleep timer is a good idea, and should be easy to do once the alarm
> > stuff is done.
> >
> > I planned to put the code out when I have a working plugin, but I'd be
> > happy to share the code now.
> > I just need to find a place to host it. (Looking towards the banshee
> > subversion repository. If the admin is reading this... ;)
> >
> > > Thanks all!
> > >
> > > Patrick
> > >
> > > (irc as trick)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Patrick "Trick" van Staveren
> > > Western Michigan University
> > > AIM: goofyassmoose
> > > Cell: 269.267.6008
> [...]

Good idea, I think knowing that I only have 5 hours of sleep left might
help me to go to bed earlier...

I think it would be better to have that UI element integrated in the
banshee main window. I wonder how we can do that from a plugin...
Has any plugin already done something similiar ?
--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz free fr>