Re: [Banshee-List] utf8 validation

First, I forgot to add that the UTF8 validator is ported from glib
code(g_utf8_validate). I don't know if a copyright sentence is
necessary or anything.

On 11/19/05, Raphael Slinckx <raphael slinckx net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 13:33 +0100, Martin Probst wrote:
> > > I won't comment about the patch, but i think it's not a great idea to
> > > support a broken mode for id3V1 tags. They were not meant to hold utf8
> > > chars, only iso-8859-1, why not stick to the rule ?
> >
> > Was that standardised? Anyway ASCII is a proper subset of UTF-8, and
> > it's AFAIK very unlikely to mistake an ASCII based single byte charset
> > for UTF-8 when it isn't. So checking if it is valid UTF-8 and using that
> > if it fits will work for 90% of the tags as they are ASCII anyways, and
> > I personally have not seen a single German ISO-8859-1(5) string that
> > would also be valid UTF-8 if it's not ASCII anyways.
> >
> > Meaning I think that's a very valid choice, it will benefit UTF-8 users
> > and probably only give a very minor performance hit for ISO-8859-1
> > users. I like it :-)
>
> Ok, i see in the v1 testsuite the following blurb:
>
> > extra
> >     Tests that test additional capabilities in the ID3 reader. The
> >     charset of ID3 isn't formally defined, so both ISO-8859-1
> >     capability as well as UTF-8 capability is tested. Also, some
> >     readers detect URL:s in the comment field, so this is also tested.
>
> However, most people and tagging library use iso-8859 which is thus a de-facto standard.
>
> Will people who use iso-8859-1 with characters in the higher ASCII space
> 1xxxxxxx be affected by the UTF8 interpretation of the text in
> iso-8859 ?

With the patch, the id3v1tagreader checks if the byte array can be
validated as UTF8. If it can't, then it is displayed as ISO-8859-1.
So, I hope that this does not break anything, but fixes some of the
broken tags.