Re: [Banshee-List] utf8 validation

> I won't comment about the patch, but i think it's not a great idea to
> support a broken mode for id3V1 tags. They were not meant to hold utf8
> chars, only iso-8859-1, why not stick to the rule ?

Was that standardised? Anyway ASCII is a proper subset of UTF-8, and
it's AFAIK very unlikely to mistake an ASCII based single byte charset
for UTF-8 when it isn't. So checking if it is valid UTF-8 and using that
if it fits will work for 90% of the tags as they are ASCII anyways, and
I personally have not seen a single German ISO-8859-1(5) string that
would also be valid UTF-8 if it's not ASCII anyways.

Meaning I think that's a very valid choice, it will benefit UTF-8 users
and probably only give a very minor performance hit for ISO-8859-1
users. I like it :-)

Martin