[Banshee-devel-list] Git tip for extension authors

Hi,

I've noticed that several commits to the git repository on gitorious
were merge commits, so I thought I'd say a few words about those.

A so called "merge commit" is not real merge, as the committer was
working on master and not a real branch. They are created when the
commit is not applied on top of the latest changes in the repository.

They're not causing any real harm, but they make the history much
messier and harder to follow.

The best way to prevent them is to use "git pull --rebase" instead of
"git --pull". This means that any local commits will be applied on top
of the latest changes coming from gitorious.

See these page on how to do that by default :
http://live.gnome.org/Git/Tips#Rebasing_by_default
http://www.viget.com/extend/only-you-can-prevent-git-merge-commits/

Happy hacking !

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>