Re: header question

Le 20-05-23 à 12 h 59, Albrecht Dreß a écrit :
Hi Jack!

Am 23.05.20 18:44 schrieb(en) Jack via balsa-list:
Not specifically Balsa related, but an email correspondent just asked my why my email didn't have a Reply-To: header.  I always thought it was present, but I see not.  Should it be, or should I just tell him it is HIS software that is wrong, since it should reply to the From: address if there isn't a Reply-To: ?

Quoting from RFC 5322, Section 3.6.2 (<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.2>):

3.6.2.  Originator Fields

The originator fields of a message consist of the from field, the sender field (when applicable), and optionally the reply-to field. […] In either case, an optional reply-to field MAY also be included, which contains the field name "Reply-To" and a comma-separated list of one or more addresses.
[…]
The originator fields indicate the mailbox(es) of the source of the message.  The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message, that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible for the writing of the message.
[…]
The originator fields also provide the information required when replying to a message.  When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message suggests that replies be sent.  In the absence of the "Reply-To:" field, replies SHOULD by default be sent to the mailbox(es) specified in the "From:" field unless otherwise specified by the person composing the reply.

IOW, if the message you sent contains a From: field (it will, as it is required), it /is/ well-formed, and a Reply-To: would be required /only/ if you want the reply to be transmitted to a different mailbox.

(his complaint is that he always needs to type my address in the To: field.)

Sounds as if that mailer is broken, or the From: field not being recognised properly for some strange reason.

Best,
Albrecht.

I'd call that email 101 :)
I thought everyone would know that.