Re: PGP popups are b0rken on ssh tunnel usage.

Hello,

(loong weekend off)

On 09/29/2018 04:37:05 PM, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Thanks a lot for testing this issue, this is really helpful!

Am 29.09.18 02:09 schrieb(en) Jack via balsa-list:
Now I see a difference between running locally and over X/ssh.  Locally, I see a popup in the upper right
of the screen with things like "Detected a good signature with insufficient validity/trust."  When
running over X/ssh I see no such message anywhere.

Ok, looks like the same behaviour as I observed with the VM.  However, there are *no* hangs as observed by
Mario, right?

It's not actual balsa hang but it very much feels like one
 - ssh window where balsa is started gets fully working ascii dialogue, if dealt with (passphrase or smlr)
balsa window resumes working ..

Something like ->

        ┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
        │ Please enter the passphrase to unlock the OpenPGP secret key:  │
        │                                                                │
        │ Passphrase: __________________________________________________ │
        │         <OK>                                    <Cancel>       │
        └────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

No popups, not on the console.  I think the "(balsa:3174): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: unable to send
notifications through org.freedesktop.Notifications: Timeout was reached" might be a hint to what is
missing.  I suspect some configuration difference gives me just that warning, but Mario gets some type of
disruptive notification.

Afaik, GIO tries to send the notification to the dbus instance /on the machine where Balsa is running/,
i.e. in the tunnelled case the remote one.  Thus, if DBus is running at all, it has no knowledge about the
ssh tunnelled X11 session, so the notification is directed to the completely wrong desktop.  I have no idea
if DBus can be tunnelled through ssh, too (on my box, it always listens on a
local unix socket, which ssh cannot forward).  So I agree with you that Mario's issue is probably caused by
a (DBus?) configuration issue.

I don't think it will be possible to fix it within Balsa, apart from adding a config item to disable
desktop notifications entirely.

Every other 'popup' window works fine so this very much could be gpg config problem, just that I don't know
how to fix that .. yet.

Best,
Albrecht.

--