Re: queston on reportedly invalid PGP signature

Hi Albrecht,

On 2018.11.28 15:28, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Am 28.11.18 18:38 schrieb(en) Jack via balsa-list:
If I explicitly look at the signature part, the first line says PGP: signature: The signature is invalid.
This is the result of comparing the (I guess detached, i.e. multipart/signed) signature with the signature calculated by Gpg: they differ. Typically caused by some intermediate agent tampering with spaces, line endings, or similar. In short, this message indicates that the message is different from what has been signed.
In that message, the parts are 1. signed parts, 1.1 plain text document and 1.2 PGP signature: The signature is invalid.

The following line is "Signature validity: The user ID is of unknown validity." I expect there is a difference between unknown validity and invalid.
Gives the validity of the user ID (calculated by the Web Of Trust, plus you can change validities of the UID youself, by using gpg, gpa, seahorse, etc.). As the signature is invalid, it is always set to unknown by gpg. Maybe we should omit this information if the signature is invalid, as this information is somewhat confusing. Note that the signature validity may be different if the key used for signing has expired or been revoked, though, so this information may be useful in other cases when the padlock is red.
It is correct that the user ID is unknown validity, as I have not indicated anything better, so I understand the web of trust may well not come up with any better connection. I suppose it doesn't really matter whether it gets unknown because it really is or because the signature is invalid.

The key fingerprint does match the key ID of one of the RSA subkeys (using kgpg to check). Two odd things are that it also says "Signed on: never" and the "Subkey used" doesn't show any additional lines, whether the little triangle points right or down.
This information is provided by gpg only if the signature is valid (also for an expired, but otherwise valid signature).
This key has lots of expired subkeys, but it does have current ones also.

Actually, we should remove the confusing “missing” information from the widget.

Thanks a lot for pointing me to that, I'll provide a fix (will be easy).

So - is there a problem in the signature, or might I have something misconfigured?
No, everything is normal, apart from that the message has somehow been tampered with. IIRC, Peter had a similar problem, caused by a provider's MTA modifying the massage in mid-air against the standards. Would be interesting whether /this/ message has a valid signature or not – if it is valid, it is more likely that the issue is with the sender's provider, not yours…
Your message shows good signature with insufficient validity/trust, which is what I expect. The original message that started this came through an official KDE mailing list, and I have other messages from that list that show good signature with insufficient validity/trust. However, I now also see one other messages from the sender of the message that started this and a message from someone else with the same invalid signature. So - I don't think the mailing list mucked with the content, or I would expect it to do so consistently. I suppose I'll check with the original sender to see if he has had any other hints of similar issues. I'll report back here if I find anything useful.

Hope this helps
Albrecht.
It's a good start.

Jack