Re: Debuggin by environment variable instead of compile time. Was: GIT version - no display of html messages

Am 07.07.18 22:46 schrieb(en) Jack via balsa-list:
Will we release a 2.5.7, or should I test if this latest commit will apply cleanly to 2.5.6?  I guess 2.5.6
is fine for anyone with a newer webkit-gtk, but not anyone using an older version, so it depends on distro,
but any distro with an older webkit-gtk will have no HTML in balsa.

Some remarks about the status of the git “master” code (basically re. my changes since 2.5.6):

- all dependencies on OpenSSL have been removed, as IMAP now also uses GIO (via libnetclient).  No idea if
balsa.spec[.in] is still used, but at least in the README the references to openssl (and in balsa.spec to
libesmtp, which has been removed a while ago) should be removed;
- the IMAP configuration GUI has a known bug re. the activation of the widgets for defining a user
certificate.  As this is a /very/ rarely used feature it isn't a real blocker, though.  I wanted to re-work
the config guis for smtp, pop3 and imap into a unified version (including a clean-up of the LibBalsaServer
parameters), but due to too much real-life work and the complexity of the issue I don't have a usable version
yet.  Please don't expect it within the next few weeks, as I'll be on vacation soon;
- the EFail vulnerability mitigation fix (causing the webkit issue) addresses webkit2 *only*.  Balsa /may/
still be vulnerable if gtkhtml or webkit1 is used.  However, I wonder if the GtkHtml project is still alive.
I don't see any Debian/Ubuntu packages, the NEWS on Github [1] is almost three years old, and the German
Wikipedia states it's used in Evolution only, as all other projects moved to webkit2.  Thus, if webkit2 is
supported on all distos which are still maintained (true for Debian Jessie and Ubuntu Trusty at least), we
might want to remove the support for gtkhtml and old webkit1 completely.  This would significantly simplify
the code and make html-related security fixes a lot easier.

Opinions?

Best,
Albrecht.

[1] <https://github.com/GNOME/gtkhtml/blob/master/NEWS>