Re: configure options - problem

On 4/18/2017 10:44 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
On 04/18/2017 05:33:55 PM Tue, Jack wrote:
I'm trying to compile balsa under Kubuntu 16.10 yakkety. configure
--help says default spell checker is "no" but configure (even with an
explicit --with-spell-checker=no) still fails

checking whether to use an external spell checker... configure enchant
checking for SPELL... no
configure: error: Package requirements ( enchant ) were not met:

If enchant is actually a spell-checker then configure and it's --help
need updating, and if it is just a spell-checker framework, then it
should not be required if no spell checker is being used.

Have I missed something?

I'm going to install it just so I can continue, but it doesn't seem
it should be necessary.

For as long as I can remember, Balsa has been built with some kind of
spell-checker. The original checker is the popup dialog, which steps
through all misspelled words; inline checking requires an external
checker, either GtkSpell, or preferably the well maintained GSpell.
They all currently depend on enchant as the underlying dictionary
manager, so it's required for any Balsa build.

So --with-spell-checker=no actually means spell-checker = builtin
popup; perhaps it should be --spell-checker=internal. With some work,
we could extend the options to really include no spell checking, and
remove the conditional dependency on enchant. But most setups would
have it already installed.
Peter
Hi Peter,

That does make sense. With that info, I'm not sure which option I would prefer. Most of the time, it wouldn't cause any issues, but I'm building manually, so there is no automatic handling of dependencies. In this (very uncommon) case, I would prefer to simply omit any spell checking, since I'm only doing this install to test Albrecht's patch for popfile. If this were to be supported, then enchant shouldn't be needed. However, given the likely and more common scenarios, I would just change the configure --help output either as you say (spell=internal) or at least to be more explicit that spell=no means internal.

Jack