Re: Data copy error

Hi Andreas:

Am 27.05.16 11:50 schrieb(en) Andreas Schmidt:
I just stumbled over an issue I can't explain. After sending a mail, I get a message "Saving sent message to
file:///home/pc/Mail/sentbox failed: Data copy error".

As you are trying to store into a MBox, I guess this message is coming from libbalsa/mailbox_mbox.c, around
line 2022.

$ ls -l ~/Mail/sentbox
-rw------- 1 pc pc 2148394623 May 27 11:29 /home/pc/Mail/sentbox

...which is actually already slightly *above* 2 GB (== 2147483648 bytes).

$ di -h ~/Mail/
Filesystem         Mount               Size     Used    Avail %Used  fs Type
/dev/mapper/sda5_c /home             400.6G   375.9G     4.3G   99%  ext4

Do you have blocks reserved for root on this fs (try running 'sudo dumpe2fs -h /dev/mapper/sda5_c | grep -i "block
count"')?  Then it might be normal that all user-accessible blocks have been used up, and the remaining space is
reserved...

The disk space is quite low, I admit, but there still should be enough room left to add a simple, short
plain-text mail. Also, as far as I know, ext4 can handle file sizes far beyond 2 GB.

See above - it's already above 2 GB.  The maximum file size on Ext4 /without/ giving the 'huge_file' option
is already 2 TB, btw.

Could it be that there is a hard-coded limit for the size of mbox files in balsa?

Not in balsa.  The aforementioned code calls gmime methods to store the message.  You could check which gmime
version you use (say 'ldd $(which balsa) | grep gmime'); afaict at least gmime 2.6 supports files > 2 GB.  I
don't know exactly what the gmime methods do under the hood, though.  I don't think they produce a working copy
or something similar which basically would double the disk space requirement.

$ dpkg -l | grep balsa
ii  balsa                                        2.4.12-3                             i386         e-mail
client for GNOME

Yes, that's somewhat old...  You may want to build a newer one (maybe the gtk3 branch from git, as to get all the
latest & greatest improvements) yourself?

The latest update of balsa came just two oŕ three months ago, but compared with upstream, the Debian-packaged
version is about three years behind. Could that explain my problem?

I don't think so.  According to 'git blame', the code triggering your issue has been touched the last time in
September 2005...

Best,
Albrecht.