Re: Anyone else seeing slow gmail

On 2016.07.21 15:15, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Am 21.07.16 18:14 schrieb(en) Jack:
However, I do have a separate question on pop for gmail. (I thought I had previously asked this, but can't find the message now.) When I first set up my gmail account for balsa, gmail complained about some security issue (obviously without providing any useful details) and I had to check the "ok to use less secure email client" in the gmail configuration before it would let balsa (with popfile) get access. I'd love to know exactly what gmail thinks is deficient in the security used by balsa/popfile, since I can't think of what else they could do.

Which version of Balsa do you use, one coming from a disto (which one?) or a self-compiled one?
Balsa 2.5.2, as built under Gentoo. However, I have compiled from source before, and can easily do so again. Oddly, my local git version claims to be many commits ahead, so I'm going to wipe it out and clone a new copy.

The TLS code in Balsa had a flaw limiting the encrypted communication to SSLv3 or TLSv1, which are both regarded insecure and thus deprecated these days. Or your OpenSSL library does not yet support TLSv1.2 (which version do you have?). I submitted patch for Balsa which Peter committed to git on 16 Feb 2015.
Openssl 1.0.2h, as build under Gentoo. I do have the option of using libressl 2.4.1 if it would be any better. I also see openssl was explicitly compiled with sslv3.

Peter, do you know if a new package has been released since then?

BTW, the libesmtp code has the same issue. I'm currently working on a replacement, as libesmtp is not maintained any more, and the creator (Brian Stafford) just disappeared... Maybe gmail complains about that, too.
I have libesmtp 1.0.6.

Cheers
Albrecht.
Thanks, Albrecht for the info. I'll try compiling from git and see what changes.

Jack