Re: WebKitGTK+ in Balsa

On 8/28/2016 8:57 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
On 08/28/2016 07:21:08 PM Sun, Jack Ostroff wrote:
I must say that the version numbering of of webkitgtk (and which
version of gtk+ it works with) has been somewhat confusing, which
doesn't help. Gentoo separates by slots.  Slot 2 and slot 3 both have
2.4.11 but different builds.  Slot 4 has 2.10.9 (stable) and 2.12.3
(currently marked testing).
Yes, the numbering is kinda hard to follow! If you configure
--with-html-widget = webkit2, Balsa (gtk3 branch) looks for
webkit2gtk-4.0.pc for the pkg-config info. On Fedora 24, that file is
provided by webkitgtk4-devel-2.12.4-1.fc24.x86_64. So you could use that
configure option if your WebKitGTK package provides webkit2gtk-4.0.pc .

I haven't built WebKitGTK from source, but my impression was that the
build would provide both the old and the new widget, and presumably both
*.pc files--is that not the way it works?
I don't know. Even with Gentoo, which compiles everything from source, I rarely have to deviate from the provided ebuilds, which contain all the instructions for configuration, based on use flags. Often they are set up to separate things which otherwise are bundled in a single tarball, based on setting parameters to ./configure (or cmake or whatever the build system is.) When I get home on Wednesday, I might be able to provide more details on what Gentoo actually does, but even if that provides extra flexibility, I don't think that should drive balsa's decision on which to use.

However, to address your question more directly, I suspect there are likely configure time switches to build one the other or both widgets. It may be most common to build both, but I don't think it is necessary. The one thing I DO remember is that the webkit-gtk build takes over 12 hours on my system (either version) so I try not to do it any more often than necessary.

Jack