Re: WebKitGTK+ in Balsa

On 08/28/2016 07:21:08 PM Sun, Jack Ostroff wrote:
I must say that the version numbering of of webkitgtk (and which version of gtk+ it works with) has been
somewhat confusing, which doesn't help. Gentoo separates by slots.  Slot 2 and slot 3 both have 2.4.11 but
different builds.  Slot 4 has 2.10.9 (stable) and 2.12.3 (currently marked testing).

Would it be reasonable (and reasonably possible) as a first step, to add a warning if you choose the older
version that it is considered deprecated and probably has un-patched security vulnerabilities, especially
depending on the distribution?  Also to make the gtk3 branch default to webkit2.

It seems to me there are two sorts of folks who compile balsa from source.  First is those who are compiling
for inclusion in a distribution.  Hopefully, they will pay more attention to security issues, and if that
distribution has an old original webkit, they will use the new one with the gtk3 branch.  Of course that
might depend on when we release the gtk3 version as master, and relegate the old master to either deprecated
or bugs only.  The other folks who compile, are likely looking for the latest and greatest (or on a distro
like Gentoo) and will likely already be on gtk3 branch with webkit2.

However, if nobody else has any reason to keep the old option around any longer, then go ahead and just
remove it.  (I still need to recompile webkit2 (I somehow think it has a different name on Gentoo, but I'm on
vacation, and don't have access to my main PC) since I accidentally deleted it, and am for the interim
actually using the old webkit.

Yes, the numbering is kinda hard to follow! If you configure --with-html-widget = webkit2, Balsa (gtk3
branch) looks for webkit2gtk-4.0.pc for the pkg-config info. On Fedora 24, that file is provided by
webkitgtk4-devel-2.12.4-1.fc24.x86_64. So you could use that configure option if your WebKitGTK package
provides webkit2gtk-4.0.pc .

I haven't built WebKitGTK from source, but my impression was that the build would provide both the old and
the new widget, and presumably both *.pc files--is that not the way it works?