Re: Configuration for mark/unmark unread new messages as old

On 2015.04.14 19:51, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
[snipped most]
sorry - but more questions...

Balsa uses five message flags to characterize the state of a message, corresponding to five of the six IMAP flags <URL:http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html> (Balsa doesn't use \Draft):

        \Seen
           Message has been read

        \Answered
           Message has been answered

        \Flagged
           Message is "flagged" for urgent/special attention

        \Deleted
           Message is "deleted" for removal by later EXPUNGE

        \Recent
Message is "recently" arrived in this mailbox. This session
           is the first session to have been notified about this
           message; if the session is read-write, subsequent sessions
will not see \Recent set for this message. This flag can not
           be altered by the client.

For an mbox-style back-end, Balsa stores these as follows:

        \Seen:          'R' in the Status header
        \Answered       'A' in the X-Status header
        \Flagged:               'F' in the X-Status header
        \Deleted                'D' in the X-Status header
        \Recent         no 'O' in the Status header

So toggling 'New' (or 'Unread'--I've no idea why it's labeled differently in the Message menu and the context menu!) will add or remove the 'R' in the Status header.

Observation: not only does it use different labels, the context menu only has Flagged and Unread, missing Answered and Deleted. (Also not that the label says "Unread" no matter what the current state, even though it seems the flag indicates Read not Unread.)

Also noticed: I have a maildir folder, and just grepping for the status header in all messages (in the 'cur' folder) most have no value, some have R and a few more have RO. In addition, there are messages in this folder with the flagged icon and some with the answered icon, but I see no F nor A in any status flag header. This is with Balsa 2.5.1. Am I missing something?

Jack