First Time Using Balsa?

Greetings!

I have taken a look at the Balsa information and I think this is the
mail client I would like to use.  I'm running Fedora 16 x86-64 bit.
I installed balsa from the repository, which seemed to install the
prerequisite packages.

I ran balsa the first time, which ran the first-time wizard where I
entered the POP information.  I created a directory for the mail
files, also creating "inbox" there (as opposed to /var/spool/mail).

Everything seemed to work--but when I attempt to download mail,
nothing happens.  I get a message that says "Status: Unknown"
followed by what appears to be a timestamp on the terminal window.
I tried using the "trace POP" option--still nothing.

I can't see anything that I have overlooked.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Marc