Re: problem sending mails

[this time let's try it to the list...]

On 2011.09.12 00:31, Ildar Mulyukov wrote:
On 10.09.2011 07:43:28, Jack wrote:
Peter's patch worked for the problem receiving more than once in balsa under cygwin. Unfortunately, I'm now having a problem sending, and all I get is a popup saying: Message submission problem. I know -d debugs pop3 and -D debugs imap - is there (or can there be) anything to debug smtp sending? It worked
fine less than an hour ago, so I'm stumped.

	Hi, Jack!
Check that balsa is built with libesmtp. I guess sendmail doesn't work right in your Cygwin installation.
Anyway sending ./configure log's tail would show us more details.

Regards,
--
Ildar

Thanks for the reply. As I suspected, it was a configuration issue, not really balsa's fault. I played with ~/.balsa/config and I can send. I still get too frequent "server errors" on receiving, and this "Message submission problem" less often. I finally found that the "debug" checkbox on the preferences screen yet does show some smtp messages. My problem mainly seems to be that interacting with yahoo via pop3 or smtp is very unpredictable. I can hit "Check mail" many times and get some combination of good retrieve, bad name/password, and internal server error as responses. Likewise for sending - sometimes it goes, sometimes I get the error. No detectible pattern. I just have to make a secure backup of my config files in case they get changed.

However, while I'm asking, I have another issue, again - not sure if it's really Cygwin related or not. I clearly don't have gnome-keyring working correctly, so I would assume as backup, balsa would store my mailbox passwords in the config and congif-private files, but it doesn't, and I have to enter them every time I run balsa. (It does remember them for multiple mail retrieves within the same invocation.) Is this a build time issue, a configuration issue, or ??? It does seem to remember the smtp password, but not the pop3 one.

Thanks.

Jack