Re: Outgoing message truncated at dot wrapped on single line

On 28/10/11 12:04:00, Carlos Franke wrote:
> I may have found a workaround for users, i. e. me: Put a tab
> character
> at the end of every paragraph that ends in a dot. (Ordinary
> whitespace
> does not work.) It will take some time to get used to that, though…

Mental!

> As
> far as I can see, there is no way to automate this in Balsa by
> calling
> an external script (sed should do), or is there?
>
> If any of you seriously wants to try find the exact source of the
> misbehaviour and maybe make Balsa compatible with Lavabit’s SMTP
> server, I am willing to run some more tests (with wireshark or
> whatever) and strip the results of any personal information, so that
> can share them. The same goes for the logs of my previous tests.

If there is a genuine bug in the client, I'd be interested in finding
it, however there is only so far one can go with this sort of thing,
beyond which the server needs fixing.

My policy on libesmtp is that I will only fix issues regarding protocol
if it can be demonstrated that it violates RFC normative requirements,
i.e. those stated with MUST or SHOULD.  I will certainly never make a
change that knowingly violates MUST or SHOULD.

> Otherwise, I will probably just make a blog post about it and hope
> that someone on the internet knows how to pass it on to the Lavabit
> developer team.

My instinct is that there is a serious bug in the Lavabit SMTP
server, workarounds involving tabs on the end of lines just reinforces
this impression.

Perhaps a better workaround is to submit messages via, say, Gmail or
Yahoo.

Brian