Outgoing message truncated at dot wrapped on single line

Dear Balsa developers,

I came across a severe bug connected to Balsa and one of my email providers, Lavabit. It does not occur with my other provider, so something might well be wrong at Lavabit, but it does not occur with my other MUA either. If it turns out to be Balsa's fault, I will be happy to open a report in the bug tracker.

This is the bug:
Some messages get truncated without warning before they reach their recipient, while appearing untruncated in Balsa's outbox.

This is how to trigger it:
Send a message…
 – using Lavabit's SMTP server.
 – containing a line with a specific length, ending in a dot. This is where the message will be truncated: the line gets through, the dot does not.
For me, the following line triggers the bug:
kann ich natürlich versuchen, so früh wie möglich da zu sein.

I do *not* have word wrap activated in Edit->Preferences->Mail options->Outgoing , however I *do* have "Wrap text at [79] characters" active in Edit->Preferences->Display options->Message (but that is just for local display, I assume). It does not make any difference if I use "Format = Flowed" or not.

Looking at the source of the (untruncated) message in my outbox, I find that the trailing dot is wrapped on a single line. Putting a dot on a single line is the SMTP signal for "end of message", so I strongly suspect that Balsa should not do this. (I wonder why Balsa does line wrapping anyway in my setup, but that is a different matter…) Or should it? Im not sure, as my other mail provider plays well with Balsa.

While I am at it: Balsa is a very nice application. Thank you!

Carlos