Solution to the att.net email problem with balsa and ATT.NET mail gateway

QUICK SUMMARY OF PROBLEM:

For big $$ reasons had to change isp's and got
AT&T Uverse package - including cheaper and much faster internet and
free att.net email.
Suddenly I couldn't send email using the att email gateway.  Tried lots
of alternatives for almost a month .... AT&T's directions didn't work
at all with Balsa.

EASY SOLUTION:

It turns out that the solution was so simple that I thought I had tried
it (... that I had tried it several times actually, but obviously not).

AT&T specifically says to send ALL outgoing email to port 465 - thus:

	smtp.att.yahoo.com:465

Without patching the code (I tried that and didn't get it quite right),
that won't work at all.

HOWEVER, a much simpler solution exists:

Send outgoing email to port 587 thus:

	smtp.att.yahoo.com:587

It works like a charm.

Of course it may fail at some point since their tech support claims it
can't possibly work, but at least for now my problem has gone away.

I hope this saves someone else a lot of problems,
- wwa

--
william w. austin                                     airedad att net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."