Re: unwanted splitting of messages

Hi Helmut:

Helmut wrote:

Hi,
my balsa-2.4.8 (GIT) has a very annoying bug.
Sometimes it splits incoming messages.

Here I have an mbox-file first written by postfix.
I doubt the message comes this way from postfix since
earlier when I used a different mail client, I have never
seen such "splittings"

I have attached one such email.

The file you attached contains two sets of "Status:" and "X-Status" headers.  Those were probably not part of the original message--Balsa inserts them when it processes a new message in an mbox-style mailbox.

If I delete them, I get an intact message with just the usual mess of headers, but...it also contains an unprotected From_ line.  That is, a line that begins "From ", which, in an mbox-style mailbox, is the marker of the start of a different message.  That's why the message is erroneously parsed as consisting of two messages.

All mail delivery agents try to avoid delivering a message containing such lines to that type of mailbox.  Balsa uses printed-quotable encoding, and replaces the 'F' with its encoded form ("=46", IIRC).  I've also seen the trailing ' ' replaced by "=20".

So it appears that postfix thought it was delivering the message to some other style of mailbox--perhaps MH or Maildir, in which each message is in its own file, and From_ lines have no significance.  Then Balsa read the file as an mbox, parsed it as two messages, and inserted the status headers.

Does that seem even remotely plausible?

Best,