Re: crashes during POP3 fetching

On 2008.09.15 19:48, Jack wrote:
For the past few weeks, Balsa has been crashing fairly often while it is fetching mail from my POP3 mailbox. However, it successfully gets at least some of the mail, since repeated fetches eventually gets all the mail. I'm using popfile for spamfiltering, but I don't see any evidence of problems there. This is balsa 2.3.25 on AMD64, kernel 2.6.25.

Various attempts at debugging have gotten one example of: gtkhtml-CRITICAL **: html_clue_append: assertion `clue != NULL' failed and with gdb, I've seen one fault starting in html_object_calc_size () with the backtrace going into /usr/lib/libgtkhtml-3.14.so.19 and a few others starting there.

I'm on gentoo linux, and my default is to build without debug info, so at this point I'm open to suggestions on what other information to gather before expecting much help. If necessary, I can rebuild balsa with debug info.

I posted the above over a year ago. After that message, I traded some emails with Pawel and the balsa-maint list, without any resolution - but plenty of confusion about whether the issue was POP3 or gtkhtml. (The few stack traces I provided did not help.)

Recently I started using webkit instead of gtkhtml in balsa, and I have not had one of the crashes since then. Although it doesn't help troubleshoot any, it does convince me that the problem was related to gtkhtml. Whether it had anything to do with POP3 I can't tell, since that is the only mail source I have, so I couldn't test IMAP.

I don't expect any follow-up at this point, but I'm thankful that webkit has at least solved the problem for me.

Jack