Re: Development of Balsa

Am 12.02.10 09:21 schrieb(en) Mario Mikocevic:
I vote for the full HTML support :)

IMNHO HTML in email is a plague ! :)

I fully agree here.  It doesn't only suck, it also has serious security impacts.  HTML mails should never be accepted where security is of any relevance.

I vote for a bit better sorting in mailbox panel, ie you can now sort per Sender *OR* Subject
I'd like to see an option for sorting on *both* Sender and Subject with selecting which one as primary.

That's a good point!

Some other things which come to my mind, basically as I am using the free Kolab Groupware <http://www.kolab.org> at work, which builds on top of a cyrus IMAP server...

* Folder ACL's: Balsa should read the Folder ACL's, be able to display them, and change them if a folder is not read-only.

* Don't throw errors if I display a message from a read-only folder, where tweaking message flags does (of course) fail with 'permission denied'.  Delete and similar (context) menu items should be disabled for such folders.

* Interpret Kolab groupware items.  Kolab stores contacts, TODO's and calendars as separate messages with XML parts in IMAP folders.  The folders have annotations which with special annotations which mark then as mail (standard), contacts, todo's etc.

I already have some code in my local playground as to interpret and display the XML part.  However, making the contacts stuff working would be great.  This would include (already thinking about an offline capability)
- build a local address book cache from the imap folder(s), so it can be used as "usual" address book
- automatically synchronise the imap folder to the local cache 8remember that the imap folder may be read-only for a shared address book!)
- store new addresses in Kolab format in folders where I have write permission.

Just my € 0.01, though...

Best, Albrecht.