Oddness with KDE addressbook

Good evening,

I doubt this is actually a balsa issue, but maybe someone else has seen this and already solved it. I have a mostly KDE system, so my address book is in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf. Most of the time, this works just fine, and balsa correctly suggests names as I type in the TO: field.

However, every now and then (no predictable pattern) I have one of two problems. First, if I add an address with balsa's "Store Address..." I have to manually fix std.vcf because the new entry had different line endings from the rest of the file. (It's been a while since it happened, so I don't remember which of the old or new entries are linux or PC line endings.)

My new problem is that balsa seems to be picking up the FN: entry. I use "last, first" as my default display, which is in the file as "FN:last\, first" and starting recently, balsa has been showing the display name as "last\\,first <email host>" and when I click or tab out of the TO: field, it breaks it into two addresses "last" and "first <email host>". I haven't updated balsa in a few months, so I assume it's related to some change on the KDE side - although kaddressbook looks like it also hasn't changed in over a month.

If anybody has any thought of how I might start troubleshooting this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jack