Gnome 2.28 changes

Hi All!

Gnome users should be prepared for some changes with version 2.28, in for example Fedora 12. By default, icons are no longer shown on menus and in dialog buttons. Furthermore, the System:Preferences:Appearance:Interface tab has been removed, so you also no longer have a GUI for over-riding the default.

Personally...well, I will censor my thoughts about this decision. The main thing is, if you want to restore either, you can use the disastrous gconf-editor GUI to over-ride it, or, if you don't have gconf-editor installed (it doesn't seem to be part of the default install), the even more obscure console command(s):

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/buttons_have_icons -t bool true
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons -t bool true

For some discussion, flames, etc, see <URL:http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2009-November/msg00093.html>--feel free to join in!

Peter

PS: I just thought the "help" menu item and buttons looked really lost without their little life-belt :(