problem parsing mbox files

Recently, Balsa (2.3.22 under Gentoo Linux, AMD64, 2.6.25 kernel) has started misparsing some of my mbox mail files.  (I know, as soon as a I resolve this, I'm switching to another format.)  Manually looking at /var/mail/jack with emacs, there are a dozen messages.  Balsa shows seven in my inbox.  If I copy that file to ~/mail/xxx, Balsa only shows one message.  I have several other mbox files in ~/mail/ and Balsa reads most of them correctly, but misses messages in a few.  I don't see anything obviously wrong looking at those  files in emacs.

I'm open to suggestions for troubleshooting.

Jack