Face vs X-face

Hi,

I have recently seen a couple of posts with fancy mugshots attached and I have thought about getting myself one of these, too. I do not know however how to go about it. Which one should I pick: Face or X-face? Does it matter which one I pick? When I click on the file selection button in Identities, I get to pick a file but I get somewhat cryptic message: "file is too big". How small should the image be for best results? Can it be color or should it be grayscale, or indexed, or black-and-white? Maybe balsa could/should reduce the file size itself if needed? Can anybody answer these questions? Answers in form of documentation patches get bonus points :)

Pawel