Re: IMAP issues

On 02/24/2008 06:31:33 PM, Mișu Moldovan wrote:

Disclaimer: The problems described here may be server-side issues, so
I'll try to limit myself to the problems that are common to at least
two IMAP servers, hoping that the problems are not server-side. The
IMAP servers that I use are: Courier, Axigen and GMail (two of them at
work and two at home). I also use Exchange sometimes, but I'll let that
beast aside this time.

1) I think there is only one (almost reliable) way to tell if there is
new mail in all IMAP sub-directories in Balsa and that is to keep all
of them opened and make sure they are not closed after a period of
inactivity. I say "almost reliable" because sometimes there's new mail
in the Inbox and Balsa can't tell. But in general, it's strange how the
periodic check for new mail seems to traverse all the sub-directories
on the IMAP servers, but I only see unread mail in the sub-directories
that are open (those are the only ones that get bold when new mail
arrives in them).

Apologies for coming back so late with answers.

Does marking "Use status for mailbox checking" changes anything here? Status command should be a robust way of checking mailboxes but it is very slow with some servers and therefore not enabled by default.

2) When I use more than one IMAP account I expect to be able to define
separate "Drafts", "Sent" and "Trash" sub-folders for each of them.
Currently, there's only one "Draft" mailbox, one "Sent" mailbox and one
"Trash" mailbox per Balsa instance.

I can see arguments for and against this kind of setup - what are yours?

 3) I can't make Balsa display threads on all IMAP servers, it only
works with Courier. I guess the others don't implement server-side
threads, but a nice IMAP client should manage threads even when there
is no support on the server.

Yes. This could be implemented. I just never expected that "dumb" imap servers would be so common....

 4) Public Folders are a PITA. I don't use them anymore with Courier,
but I remember I had some issues which I have raised here in the past.
On Axigen I have no idea how to access them, they don't appear in the
list even if I uncheck the "Subscribed folders only" setting (which
seems to work for the other sub-directories). But they work with other
IMAP clients: Thunderbird, Evolution, Sylpheed etc.

I think it is a question of detecting NAMESPACEs. I usually just add another IMAP server with a prefix set to the relevant namespace (#shared in case of UW-IMAP. Some other servers maybe use #Public?)... Adding protocol support for this is easy, finding a right user interface bit more complex, imo. I may be time to investigate how other IMAP servers do that...

Pawel
PS. The "Enable bug workarounds" command treats the IMAP server as POP3 as far as message fetching is concerned. No fancy checking of message structure and selected part fetching, just brute force download of entire messages...