Re: A feature request (or two)

Hi Kacper!

On 11/27/2007 12:29:05 PM Tue, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
[ snip ]
Threading is tricky, but I never understood what "simple threading"
was. Does balsa look at the Message-Id:, In-Reply-To:, and References:
headers for this mode, and map out all the references as a tree/graph?
If that's the case then this threading mode isn't exactly simple, and
the above suggestion is rather valid.

No, "simple" threading looks only at the immediate parent of a given message (precisely, the in-reply-to header, or the last reference if there is no in-reply-to). If it finds the immediate parent, it threads the message under it; otherwise, the message shows at the top level.

It's JWZ that looks at all the references, and builds a tree for all of them, even those whose message isn't in the mailbox--and that's far from simple! It does a better job of presenting threads when some messages are missing. But, as a final step, it also groups threads by subject, which is the part that sometimes causes me problems.

My feeling is that it does a better job with references than "simple" threading, which should therefore be dumped, provided we have a way to turn off the grouping by subject.

Incidentally, if headers are available, why doesn't balsa do
this for IMAP folders where server-side threading is unavailable?*

I believe it could...patch, anyone?

Anyways, up until gmail started supporting IMAP I forgot how nice of an
app balsa really is, and how much /other/ mail I have been
accumulating. I actually hacked on a small gmail-to-IMAP module for
balsa, before the point became moot.

Good to see you guys are keeping up the good work.

Thanks, on behalf of all involved :)

.K

[*] Notes/Exchange/Gmail IMAP currently lack server-side threading.

Sigh...