Re: Reflow Text doesn't work anymore

Am 06.06.07 17:35 schrieb(en) Andreas Schmidt:
Another thing, as I'm typing this mail with "Format = Flowed" turned on, I notice that the behavior differs from earlier versions. I used to have line wrap set to 72 chars, and reflowing selected text would put all of that text into one paragraph, with line breaks after 72 chars. Now, the lines cover all of the space available per window width.

Well, my idea was to present the message to the user in the same way in both the composer and in the message display. Using the native wrapping algorithm of the gui widgets, a flowed message can be displayed (IMO) nicer. You can even use a proportional font (e.g. Vera Serif instead of Vera Sans Mono), and the display still looks good. The same applies for the newer (GtkPrint) print output, btw.

For the composer, it's the "usual" way a word processor works: just type and separate paragraphs, but the application will take care of proper line wrapping.

Note that "below the surface" the message text will still be wrapped. As a consequence, ancient MUA's which don't understand the concept of flowed text will display the contents with (afaik) a maximum of 72 chars per line.

Do you think this new behaviour is confusing?  Any ideas for improvements?

Cheers, Albrecht.

--
 Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht dress arcor de