Re: few balsa annoyances and one bug

On 08/21/2007 11:31:00 AM, Pawel Salek wrote:
Thanks a lot for these reports - we really appreciate them. See below for
some suggestions and follow-up questions.

On 08/21/2007 10:49:20 AM, Mario Mikocevic wrote:
> upgraded recently to 'official' rpm packet -> balsa-2.3.17-2.fc7
> and then problems started surfacing -
>
> sometimes when I compose and send new message, along with that message
> balsa sends one _more_ message from outbox, old one that is sent few
> hours/days before.

Oh, this is bad. The old one should have been removed permanently from
the outbox. Do you get any indication about what could go wrong? If you
start balsa from a terminal window, does anything get printed on the
console? Do you have your home dir on  local directory, or is it some
kind of NFS? We should really solve this problem as it may be a tip of an
iceberg, really.

It's local ext3 fs. Nothing is printed anywhere. Only indication were coworkers
asking me why I did send same msg again. It *is* new msg since it has new, distinct
msg-id, checked it on mail server (perks of working for ISP :).

> when composing new message, if I'm idling for some time popbox with some
> _very_ confusing info about UTF-8 converting show up, confusing because
> I'm
> not sure what will happen if I click Cancel or Ok ..

Good point. I think we could just safely save such messages as UTF-8
unless the user requests otherwise.

Thats ok, my only concern here is popup box and misleading text in it, whenever
it happens I have a feeling it'll send my incomplete msg when I close popup box.
Popup box text is ->

<quote>
Message contains national (8-bit) characters

Balsa will encode the message in UTF-8.
Cancel the operation to choose a different language.
</>

Maybe we could add note 'Message will not be sent at this time..' or something ..

> my balsa process is started along with X, meaning that I never exit it
> while
> my desktop is running,
> sometimes when I log in the next day and press 'Check' balsa just pops
> info
> box and never ever
> finishes checking new email ..
>

> desktop is F7 updated with all incoming mail fetched with fetchmail and
> processed with procmail
> into mailbox local files.

If I understand correctly, you do not use balsa to fetch mail via POP3?
If that's, the case, it will simplify debugging...

Nope, fetchmail does that, then it's preprocessing via .procmailrc into local mbox-es.
Balsa only checks those local files.

thanks for help,

--
T-Com
Sektor za profesionalne usluge i poslovna rješenja za IP /