Re: Some hints for usability improvements

În data de Vi, 17 Feb 2006 la 18:48 Peter Bloomfield a scris:
> On 02/17/2006 04:31:46 PM Fri, Mişu Moldovan wrote:
[snip]
> > To implement the "one-key" reading Spacebar should scroll down
> > a page in the current mail preview pane and, after reaching the
> > bottom of the current mail, it should move to the next unread
> > mail.
>
> That's feasible, as I mentioned.  First you'd have to put the
> focus into the message, by tabbing into it or by clicking on it.

I think that having to put the focus into the message first would break this one-key reading. In Sylpheed it doesn't matter if the focus is in the message preview window or in the GtkTreeView of the list of messages in the selected folder. In both cases, space-bar does what I mean (frankly, even in Balsa sometimes I was hitting space-bar to scroll down because that's what the space-bar does in a number of other programs).

> > In Sylpheed there's also a confirmation dialog involved when
> > the new mail is in another folder. But the confirmation button
> > is selected by default and you just have to press spacebar one
> > more time to confirm moving to the next unread mail in another
> > folder. Brilliant.
>
> Do you think the confirmation is necessary?  I tried one for the
> "Next-unread" chaining, and I didn't like it.

For advanced users it would just get in the way. In a very minor way when using one-key reading (because pressing space-bar one more time would confirm immediately) but it would be annoying when using the Ctrl-N combination or the mouse and the "next unread" button in the toolbar. However, for novices, it has the potential to confuse them once or twice, until they get the hang of it. But I wonder how many novices have a hierarchy of folders in which they filter the mail *before* reading it.

My personal preference is against that confirmation, so I like the way it's implemented in your patch better that what's currently in Sylpheed.

> > I really like this feature. And how can you not? It's simple,
> > efficient and works like a charm. I'll pray for it to be
> > implemented in Balsa too. You'll love it!
>
> I'm using it now, and I must admit I find "Next-unread" chaining
> more useful--I guess I skip most messages without scrolling them!
> But that's just me ;-)

It could be that most messages you read are written by fans of "top-posting", which is becoming the norm nowadays for the regular crowds. However, Balsa is a mail client for Linux/Unix desktops and bottom-posting is the norm in this world. Well, I really hope you got this far, because here we naturally use bottom-posting and the bottom is here :)

--
    .
/^)/_/(/