Re: Some hints for usability improvements

On 02/14/2006 11:01:28 AM Tue, Cyrille Mars wrote:
Hello everybody

I'm using xpn as a news reader (http://xpn.altervista.org) and one thing I really like is One-Key reading. By default it's set to space. When you press space the message windows scrolls down, at the end of the message if you press space again you go to next unread message. I don't know if i'm clear as english is not my native language but reading all new message with only one key is realy nice and it would be great if balsa implemented the same behavior.

You're very clear! I believe one-key reading can be implemented. Balsa uses PageUp, PageDown, CursorUp, and CursorDown to scroll within a message, so a couple of different implementations are possible: - continue to use just those keys, but interpret an attempt to scroll down below the end of a message as a request to chain to the next unread message; - add space-bar as an addition to PageDown for scrolling, and chain to the next unread message only if the space-bar is used to try to scroll below the end of the current message.

The first is simplest, but a user might be surprised by jumping to a new message just because of hitting PageDown too many times.

Opinions?

Peter

BTW: Imho, any implementation should be intuitive enough not to need a new user-pref!