Features, usability, etc.

H and thanks for a great e-mail client. I've used balsa for about two years now and it's really come a long way. It has most of what I'd like, without being bloated (*cough* like that Charles Darwin program from Novell *cough*). In the interest of stimulating a discussion, I thought I'd post a few comments and questions about some of the things I miss in balsa.

1. Why is it only possible to choose the "From" line from a number of pre-defined identities? In my opinion, it would be very convenient to be able to edit that header just like any other. Actually, if memory serves me right this used to be possible in earlier versions of balsa.

2. After Peter fixed "pipe through", I've started using that quite a lot. In fact, so much that it would be useful for me to have a key binding that pipes the current message to a given command. Any thoughts on this?

3. Would it be possible to add an option not to scan a mailbox for new mail? For instance, I'd prefer if the new mail notification didn't pop up whenever my spam folder changes.

4. Speaking of the mail notification: after metacity was changed not to allow programs to steal focus, that popup has not been very useful for me. Since I mostly use a laptop with fairly low resolution I tend to maximize my windows, which means that I never see the popup (now really popunder) window.

I'm aware that libwnck was recently changed to allow such formerly focus-stealing windows to pulsate in the window list but also for reasons of screen real estate, I have that panel set to auto-hide. Would the developers be interested in implementing libnotify support (http://blogs.gnome.org/view/rodrigo/2005/07/04/0), or be likely to accept a patch?

5. What is the developers' view of the gnome hig? I'm not sure how hig-compliant balsa is, since I've never read the guidelines. Have any of the hig people commented on balsa?

6. This may just be me being stupid, but I haven't been able to forward a message inline with full headers. Is that easily doable with balsa?

Regards,

Johan