Re: Missing options

Am 2004.10.13 14:52 schrieb(en) A. van Roggen:
-1- In the options under Settings/Preferences/Display, the date format can be set, e.g. as "%H:%M". This shows the date correctly as e.g. "Date: 12:34" in the header, but it does not change the date format in the message list window, which still shows the US-business format, e.g. "10/12/04 19:39:31".

It is very confusing to have to read the date in differing formats, and IMHO both places should be set to the same format string, or an option added to change the date format in the message list window.

You can change the format with the environment variable LC_TIME (the documentation of "locale" will help you here). It is dependent on the set language (LANG) and should resemble the standard in your country. But nevertheless LC_TIME can change it independently...

I don't like the idea of changing the date format in an application in general - Gnome should provide it in the control center (liek KDE).

-2- The current version (data below) identifies new mail in mailboxes in the left panel by making the foldername bold. Earlier versions did not make this name bold, but colored. The coloration stands out much better than bold, and an option to pick a specific color or font should be added.

Note that there is no obvious way of changing the normal font in the left pane (nor in the message window): only the body window is modified by the font options in Settings/Preferences/Display/Messages. Such generalized option would take care also of the coloration mentioned above.

I would vote against this - the Preferences are too crowded already. What would be the benefit of choosing general fonts and colors in the prefs of a single app? If you don't like the fonts, change your gtk2-theme.

The bold highlighting is used because of hardly recognizable colors in some themes. (Imagine you had a blue theme and the default-highlight-color would be - let's say - blue :)

An option to choose it is only clutter... (It wouldn't fix the problem but only the symptom)

On every theme I've seen bold is clearly different from normal fonts. (as long as you don't set your standard to be bold ;)

Please let me know if I have overlooked the obvious (options not findable in the ~/.gnome2/balsa file), or if the requested options can/ will be added in a future version.

Every option in .gnome2/balsa can be found in the app. (no hidden prefs - at least I think so :)

Thanks,
A. van Roggen

cu
/Steffen

--
/"\
\ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign    |  "The best way to predict