Re: SMTP Troubles

On 09/30/2004 11:31:22 PM, John Lowell wrote:
I'm using Balsa as the default mail client in XFCE4, the default desktop in the SAM livecd. Attempting to send mail I'm stopped with authentification problems at the first try. I have entered my password (or passphrase as you call it) correctly and have made certain to enter the port number in the server configuration, that is to say, smtp.xxxxxxx.xxxxxxx.com:25. The server requires authentification and, somehow, I'm not providing it. How do I provide it beyond offering the proper password? I use thunderbird with no such problems in Debian and Gentoo. I'm stumped. That said, you've done a lot of nice work on this package. I'd love to be able to send mail with it. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Run balsa from a terminal window, enable debugging output /Preferences/ Misc/debug - and look at the output. You should get entire conversation with the SMTP server displayed - it will hopefully give some clues.

Also, can you verify you have libesmtp-1.0.3? Older versions had problems with TLS (not sure whether it is relevant).

Pawel