Q: Balsa & Large File Support [was: new version of gpgme (0.4.5) breaks signature checking]

The problems with gpgme 0.4.5 have been caused by adding Large File
Support there, which (on some Linux systems at least) changes off_t from a
32 bit to a 64 bit value. This breaks the api of some functions, and
according to the gpgme gurus, it's not safe at all to simply write
workarounds, i.e. to avoid these functions.

It *is* possible to compile gpgme 0.4.5 without LFS, but the default is to
enable it. This means that upgrading a new deb/rpm from gpgme 0.4.4 to
0.4.5 will silently break *all* applications which were compiled without
LFS. Furthermore, it will break all apps which do not use LSF by default
even after recompiling. I guess the packagers will not be happy to hear
that changing a package patchlevel may result in that...

The point now is how we should proceed with balsa:

* add large file support to balsa (i.e. add AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to configure.
in), and force using gpgme 0.4.5 or later, which is hopefully built with
large file support. The question is if this breaks something elsewhere in
Gnome/Gtk/balsa interaction. Grepping through the Gnome 2.4 headers shows
off_t in audiofile.h and quite often in gmime (yes, I have to investigate
it for my upcoming gmime/gmpme patch...), and I didn't check the sources.
Anyone out there with experiences? Again thinking about the packagers, I
think rebuilding all of Gnome with LFS just to get balsa working with
gpgme 0.4.5 is no option.

* let the packagers force building gpgme without LFS. I'm almost sure this
will break things at other places, so those people will not be happy. Not
a real option, therefore...

* freeze gpgme support in balsa at 0.4.4 and rest in peace. The problem is
that gpgme is still somewhat buggy, so we should keep the possibility to
upgrade. In particular, s/mime (gpgsm) support is widely broken even in
0.4.5, e.g. only the cvs versions allows gpgsm operations when balsa has
been launched from the gome menu/panel.

So, all options seem to be problematic, and I would be interested in your
opinion.

Cheers,

	Albrecht.

P.S.: Jean-Luc, can you please forward this clarification to the deb bug
trackers? I guess there will be more rough edges than just balsa... THX!

 Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de

PGP signature