Re: Opinions about Gnome integration?

On 07/31/2004 04:30:11 AM, Darko Obradovic wrote:
Hi all,

As most of you noticed, I often make controverse suggestions. The driving force behind this is that I really love the Gnome-2 philosophy, although being an "IT-hardened power user" I guess, and thus I'd like balsa very much to fit more into this. There is a nice story on OSNews about this: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7864

On the other hand, balsa widely remained in the Gnome-1 era IMHO, focussing on configurability and UNIX-philosophy. Nothing against it, it's just a matter of personal opinion, but I have to make a decision now for me:

Whether to spend my upcoming spare time working on Gnome- adaptions or not. I think balsa could be a hot candidate against evolution to be included in the Desktop, if evolution misses 2.8.

Thanks for any insights on balsa's planned future from the view of the maintainers/other developers.

Hi Darko!

Thanks for the link--interesting to see the divergence of views about GNOME.

Personally, I truly appreciate all your comments and suggestions about Balsa, and I believe that many have led to very useful improvements. But (of course, there's a `but'...) Balsa is used in a wide variety of contexts, and (again, personally) I feel it's important to continue to support those uses.

I'd like to see Balsa be as friendly as possible out-of-the-box. A recent thread offered a lot of (sometimes conflicting!) suggestions. At the same time, I believe it *should* continue to be configurable, so that it can meet the user's needs as they become more complex. I'm not sure which side of the fork that leaves me on...

Regards,