Re: Balsa 2.2.0 end user impressions

On 07/20/2004 08:34:15 PM, Craig Routledge wrote:

  "SMTP server refused connection.
   Balsa by default uses submission service (587).
   If you want to submit mail using relay service (25),
   specify it explicitly via: "host:smtp".
   Message is left in outbox."

This may be the best route.  Asking the user for information that they may
not have been given by their ISP (who think that all mail programs connect
to port 25) is a poor idea for a wizard designed for newbies.

This way the wizard does not ask, but the setting is available.  And the
user only needs to be concerned with any of this if there is a problem.

On 07/20/2004 11:01:09 AM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> Agreed; some might argue that "submission" (587) is the correct default
> port, but I have yet to find an smtp server that provides it!

So the only question is: what should the default setting be?  I'm all for
using 587, but I don't see any movement away from SMTP on port 25, and POP3
for pickup on the vast majority of major ISPs.  Certainly that's what I'm
stuck with at the moment.

Could Balsa check whether 587 is available in real time while the smtp
server is being set up?

Regards, Willem Riede.