Re: Balsa 2.2.0 end user impressions

On 07/19/2004 07:53:31 AM, joacher gmx de wrote:
SMTP configurations seems painless, too. But a first test mail delivers a "SMTP server problem (-113): No route to host. Message is left in outbox". This is misleading. Of course there is a route, I just forgot to specify a port. In my opinion, if there is no port specified, balsa should simply use the default of 25.

Current CVS yield the following improved message (libbalsa/send.c ~ line 1122):

 "SMTP server refused connection.
  Balsa by default uses submission service (587).
  If you want to submit mail using relay service (25),
  specify it explicitly via: "host:smtp".
  Message is left in outbox."

This may be the best route. Asking the user for information that they may not have been given by their ISP (who think that all mail programs connect to port 25) is a poor idea for a wizard designed for newbies.

This way the wizard does not ask, but the setting is available. And the user only needs to be concerned with any of this if there is a problem.