messages are invisible

Someone please come to the rescue!  This is the second time I have posted
this request.  Reply directly, if you wish; or reply to the list.

Having tried most of the MUAs currently available for Linux, my preference
is for Balsa.  (I presently am using Eudora Pro on a Windows
machine---sigh!  Mail is the last step in my migration from Windows to Linux.)

But I cannot use Balsa until I resolve this problem.  I have tried removing
and reinstalling Balsa, but the problem remains.  I would be willing even
to reinstall Debian---if that is what it is necessary to correct this
problem.

-------------------------

Balsa 2.0.14 on Debian 'unstable' (kernel 2.4.20-3-686); Gnome-2 desktop:

For messages in SENT box, DRAFTBOX, OUTBOX, and TRASH, only the message
headers are visible; message bodies are not displayed (or perhaps they are
invisible, because of a problem in the colour scheme).  However, messages
in IN box display properly.

The message header appears on a white background; There is a grey
background in the region in which the message body should appear; this is
true for both preview screen and the separate message window.  But for
messages in the IN box, the ENTIRE screen has a white background---there is
no grey region.

RLH