Re: Mailbox Tabs

On 09/11/2003, Darko Obradovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> investigating ways how to simplify balsa in a Gnomeish way, and
> thus making it easier to maintain and more lightweight, I'd
> like to get some opinions about the mailbox-tab feature (the
> one you can activate/deacvtivate in the view-menu).
>
> It never made much sense to me, it's deactivated by default and
> no other mail-clients I know of seem to need something like
> that as long as you have a mailbox-tree on the left. Are there
> any people using it regularly, and what are the benefits for
> you, if you do? My current problem is, that the tab-labels
> currently get colored to indicate the presence of new mail, and
> eliminating them would solve this easily. Apart from the fact
> that they need quite some code to keep them in order.
>
> Not meant to offend anyone, just investigating,

I use them all the time--they're the only reliable indication of
which mailboxes are open, and consequently which might have
uncommitted changes. They're also convenient as another way to
switch among mailboxes.

I agree that we should have some way to switch off the color
changes, which don't play well with certain themes. Iirc, bold
and italic fonts have been mentioned as alternative visual cues.