Re: Re: address for encryption

Hi Thomas,

your problem sounds really puzzling to me...

When encrypting a message, balsa looks for a public key matching the
sender's (== your) mail address, and then for public keys matching every
to: and cc: recipient's mail address. Usually balsa does this "silently",
i.e. it does not pop up any window where you can select a key from. *Only*
if one recipient (or you) have more than one matching key, there should be
a list to select a key from. However, in general it's not a good idea to
have more than one key pair for the same mail address as some apps are not
able to handle them correctly (IIRC, there is some note about that in the
GnuPG howto). The selection list pops up for *each* recipient which has
more than one matching key. So, if you send a message to three people
having two (or more) keys each, and if you (the sender) have two (or more)
public keys for the respective mail addresses, you will see the list
window four times, which seems to be quite annoying... If you want to
stick with more than one key per mail address for you, I think I should
either add a field to the identity prefs or (maybe better) get seahorse's
preferred key from GConf.

Note that this all is only triggered by balsa, all the work with the key
rings etc. is done by gpg using the gpgme interface. I remember that gpgme
sometimes created odd output with old versions of gpg (before 1.2.0;
current ist 1.2.3). What version of gpg do you use?

Cheers,

	Albrecht.

Am 07.09.03 09:55 schrieb(en) Thomas Michel:
> Thanks for your fast answer. My friend was in my key list. For details
> my keylist contains 4 keys wich are generated by me with public and
> private part, 1 key of my friend only with public part and keys of other
> poeples only with public part too.
>
> I have checked again and identified 2 cases of balsa behavior:
>
> 1) My normal case see above.
>    Here only my keys occurs in the list for public keys of recipient.
>    And the mail will be encrypted with my public key.
> 2) For test i have generated a key with the name and e-mail address of
> my friend. Now in balsa the list of public keys for recipient is ok.
> (contains both keys of my friend). But it is following a additional
> question for choosing a public key for recipient (my address).
> The mail will be encrypted by the last question (my address).
>
> I think balsa encrypted with from address but i does not believe it
> really. I was looking for a bug, but there is none in the archive.
>
> Should i send screenshoots to this list or is this not so good idea?
>

> Thanks Thomas

 Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de

PGP signature