Using the composer without checking the mail

Hello. Using Balsa 2.0.14 and Galeon 1.2.7 in my RedHat 9 box, I am
able to use the mailto: function by entering the command  balsa -m "%u"
in the mail handler section. This allows me to invoke the Balsa
composer alone (instead of Balsa's main window), each time I click on
an e-mail link or want to send a page link while surfing with Galeon.
At the same time, I have Balsa configured to check for new e-mail
immediately after I launch the program. However, when I use the mailto:
function from Galeon to invoke Balsa composer, Balsa's dialog window
also appears to check for new e-mail. Not a big problem, but still
annoying, specially if you use the mailto: function quite often as I do
(and I suspect many people do) and just want to send a page link or
compose a message.
I would like to know if there is some way I can prevent this, short of
modifying my Balsa settings to prevent automatic e-mail checking when I
launch the program. I suppose it would be a matter of tweaking a little
bit the Balsa command in Galeon, so any hint would be appreciated.

Francisco