Re: Using the composer without checking the mail

On 09/05/2003, Francisco Ortiz Santini wrote:
> Hello. Using Balsa 2.0.14 and Galeon 1.2.7 in my RedHat 9 box,
> I am able to use the mailto: function by entering the command
> balsa -m "%u" in the mail handler section. This allows me to
> invoke the Balsa composer alone (instead of Balsa's main
> window), each time I click on an e-mail link or want to send a
> page link while surfing with Galeon. At the same time, I have
> Balsa configured to check for new e-mail immediately after I
> launch the program. However, when I use the mailto: function
> from Galeon to invoke Balsa composer, Balsa's dialog window
> also appears to check for new e-mail. Not a big problem, but
> still annoying, specially if you use the mailto: function quite
> often as I do (and I suspect many people do) and just want to
> send a page link or compose a message.
> I would like to know if there is some way I can prevent this,
> short of modifying my Balsa settings to prevent automatic e-
> mail checking when I launch the program. I suppose it would be
> a matter of tweaking a little bit the Balsa command in Galeon,
> so any hint would be appreciated.
>
> Francisco

I believe the code may need to be changed. If you look in src/
main.c, you'll see that using `-m' keeps the main window hidden
and results in Balsa quitting when the compose window is closed,
but doesn't otherwise change the startup procedures.  A more
light-weight startup would be nice.