Re: problems with smtp

On 10/13/2003 04:20:05 AM, Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> Pawel Salek wrote:
>> If you are supposed to use (authenticated) smtp, use port 25. You can
>> verify that the SMTP server provides AUTH extension by doing
>>
>> telnet host.name 25
>>
>> and typing
>>
>> ehlo my.host.name
>>
>> remove server should list something similar to:
>>
>> 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
>>
>> I wonder whether you are supposed to use TLS connection encryption as
>> well? I do not have experience with this part though.
>>
>> Pawel
>
> I was able to telnet to port 25 and port 587.

That's great.

>  when ever I did helo with some address, it would ask me why I called

You mean "ehlo", don't you? This is not a misprint!

> myself that.  what am I supposed to put for "my.host.name"?  port 587

Well, your host name/domain[1]. If the DNS name of your computer is blah.
umn.edu, use that.

> is what I'm using with my mail client now and what my isp says to use,
> so I think I should keep that.

OK. You just mentioned explicitely smtp, which usually means port 25.
Port 587 is usually associated with submission service.

Pawel

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1869.html, section 4.2