Re: problems with smtp

On 10/12/2003 09:11:33 PM, Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> When I try to send a message with balsa, I get an error saying
> "relaying refused
> 0:(null)
> message left in your outbox"
>
> I have redhat 9 and gnome 2.2.0.  This happened first when I tried it
> with the balsa 2.0.6 which came with my os and when i upgraded (through
> rpm) to the latest version.  I have no problems recieving mail.  I'm
> supposed to use authenticated smtp, so I use port 587.
>
> thanks for any help you can give.

If you are supposed to use (authenticated) smtp, use port 25. You can
verify that the SMTP server provides AUTH extension by doing

telnet host.name 25

and typing

ehlo my.host.name

remove server should list something similar to:

250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5

I wonder whether you are supposed to use TLS connection encryption as
well? I do not have experience with this part though.

Pawel